Monday, February 27, 2012

Coconut Veggie Quinoa

After my Skinny Mode post, I had several requests for my favorite quinoa recipe. Seeing as I eat quinoa daily & with everything, I'm sharing my most versatile recipe- coconut veggie quinoa. I usually make enough for 2 helpings- one for dinner, and the rest for tomorrow. You can toss the leftovers in a scramble, salad, or just re-heat and enjoy :)


Need:
1 cup quinoa
chicken broth (or veggie broth)
coconut oil
squash
zucchini
broccoli 
spinach 
eggplant 
salt
pot with lid
sauce pan with lid


Do it:
1. cook 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then cook on low for 17 minutes (with lid on)
2. chop veggies, then saute eggplant, zucchini & squash in a spoon full of coconut oil on medium/low. After 7 minutes add the spinach and lid.
3. broil broccoli (I usually broil until the edges turn light green, but still dark in middle), strain, then set aside. 
4. once all is cooked, mix the veggies and quinoa in the sauce pan and stir it up. I usually season with 2 pinches of sea salt. 

If you're a sauce lover, you're in luck because this recipe tastes delicious with ANY sauce you pair it with. 






Benefits of quinoa
Quinoa is exceptionally high in protein, amino acids, iron, fiber & magnesium (key for everything from mood support to electrolyte balance). Being fiber-rich it fills you up and gives you slow-burn energy (meaning you feel full longer, thus reducing your appetite). Finally, quinoa’s high protein helps you burn fat and calories. The quinoa diet works every time!



1 comment:

  1. Any suggestions on a type of sauce to put with this? I know you mentioned any...but for those of us who aren't cooks and have zero recipe imagination? :)

    ReplyDelete