Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Farming the farmers market


Besides the obvious reasons to attend your local farmers market each week: delicious foods, free samples, supporting your local farmers, getting fresh organic foods...it can actually save you money! Since you are getting your foods directly from the source, the prices are lower then those at your grocery stores. 
A couple other ways you can save money by shopping at the farmers market are: plan a few meals for the week and only buy the ingredients you need, buy foods that can be used in more then one meal, and always go with a list- this eliminates impulse buying. 

Here are my usual stops at the farmers market...

Each week I buy a whole rotisserie chicken- peal it, put it in a container, and refrigerate it. That way I can use the shredded chicken in meals throughout the week.


Daves Korean Food is my guilty pleasure and splurge at the FM. After he gives you a sample of EVERYTHING they sell, I limit myself to 3 things. This week I bought a tempha, spicy cucumber, and green seaweed salad. All of these things can be used in 4 different meals through out the week- salads, sandwiches, scrambles or stir-fry. 



Always get a couple veggies, but once again only buy what you know you will use that week.

I got 2 bell peppers, 1 eggplant, romaine lettuce, green onions and radishes all for under $6



Fruit is always great for snacks on the go

This week I went for berries. They go great with breakfast cereals, smoothies, snacks and with yogurt or sorbet as a healthy dessert.

And lastly I always get a couple dips & spreads

Baba's hummus is a FM favorite because you can taste every hummer before you buy it. Hummus is a great substitute for cheese, you can use it on sandwiches or as a snack with crackers or veggies.

My other favorite spread is Bolani's Garlic Mint Cheese. It's vegetarian, low-fat, low-calories, low-carbs and no cream is used. I use this spread on almost everything I eat.


Todays snack- beet hummus and Glutinos gluten free pretzels 


Another great way to save money on food is using leftovers! Here is a great blog about leftovers by my sister Megan... LEFTOVERS

1 comment:

  1. Dave's Korean Food is everything but guilty; unrefined, low glycemic, whole vegan ingredients= GOOD CHOICE!! :)

    ReplyDelete